Monday, November 7, 2011

Projects from Pinterest: Cake Stand

So, like many others, I have discovered the wonderful world of Pinterest. I tend to gravitate towards the food & drink and the DIY & crafts boards. I've established earlier how horrible I am about blogging, so I thought that maybe I could use my blog for posting those things from Pinterest that I decide to make. But we shall see. :)

This first project is a cake stand. Unfortunately, I didn't pin this one to my personal board, so I can't "credit" anyone (I've quickly learned that multiple people are crafty and it's hard to give true credit to whoever might have thought of it first).

I started with a glass plate and a wine glass (both from the Dollar Tree) and some Gorilla Glue.



After cleaning both, I lined the outer edge of the base of the wine glass with the Gorilla Glue.




Then I turned my plate over and placed the wine glass in the center of the bottom of the plate.





To help bond the glue, I placed a heavy object (in this case, a wooden bowl) on the wine glass. The directions on the glue bottle say to do this for 60-90 minutes. I did this before leaving for church, so mine sat for about 4 hours.





I took the wooden bowl off, flipped it over, and voila! A beautiful cake stand! For the low price of $2.12 (plus whatever portion of the glue that I used).



My only mistake was that I didn't pay attention to the fact that my glue bottle clearly states "dries white" when I should've used a glue that dried clear. But, on the other had, I also thought that it's gonna be covered with a cake and most people won't even pay attention to the small circle of glue that shows through. :)



1 comment:

  1. just put parchment paper (bonus: easy cleaning) or a doily (no idea how to spell, bonus: decoration) under your cake. That way if it all gets eaten, the white glue will still be hidden! P.S. I might steal this, but glue a bowl to a cup instead of a plate to have a fancy dessert bowl ;)

    ReplyDelete